Saturday 17 April 2010

Sausage bun


The weather in the UK has been lovely; sunny and basically not wet. Well actually, I still found it a bit cold despite it being sunny but it's only because of the wind. And the flowers are just everywhere and they're so pretty and photogenic!




This is one of the bf's favourite baked goodies of mine. The last time I made this, I overbaked them and the bread ended up being chewy after a couple hours.

I've always had a phobia of baking with yeast and well egg white, but I shall save the egg white phobia for another day. It's the anticipation and waiting to see if the dough grows and whilst you're waiting, you kinda regret not kneading it for longer or maybe the temperature of the liquid wasn't warm enough.

I stumbled upon the fresh loaf and the phrase pigs in the blanket still seems to amuse me. I have always wanted to try using milk instead of water to make bread but having come from Malaysia, the idea of letting milk sit out on the counter in the usual hot and humid climate didn't appeal to me.

The buns came out soft and fluffy and stayed that way the next day. The entire batch was finished by day two so don't really know if it would've remained fluffy on day three. I used slightly more yeast than the original recipe as it was prepacked yeast and the sachet so happened to be 7g. I also added about 2 extra tablespoons of flour whilst kneading the dough as it was a bit sticky to handle. Sorry for the lack of pictures as I only decided to start blogging yesterday! Will have to get use to taking pictures during the making process.

I got tired or rolling out the dough and used the remaining dough to make a mini loaf bread. I rolled out the dough into a rectangle and evenly spread peanut butter and mashed up banana, rolled it up like a jelly roll and baked it. I preferred this to the sausage buns but it's only cause I'd choose peanut butter over frankfurters anyday!


Sausage bun (makes about 20)

300g strong white bread flour
7g instant yeast
10g or 2 tsp caster sugar
6g or 1 tsp salt

1 egg plus warm milk to weigh 220g (my egg weighed about 50g so I used 170g of milk)

30g melted butter

10 frankfurters (cut in half)
1 lightly beaten egg as egg wash

1. Mix together dry ingredients.
2. Stir in egg and milk mixture with wooden spoon (dough will be quite dry and crumbly).
3. Stir in melted butter.
4. Knead till smooth (this is the part where I added about 2 extra tablespoons of flour).
5. Place dough back in mixing bowl and leave in warm place to rise till doubled (mine took 1 1/2 hours).
6. Divide dough into 20 pieces.


7. Prepare parchment paper. Roll into long worms, stretch it a bit and wrap around frankfurter. Try to leave both ends at the bottom.


8. Leave to rise for about half an hour.
9. Bake in a preheated 190 C oven for about 13-15 minutes or till golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails