Thursday 29 April 2010

Banana bundt cake

I'm still obsessed with the bundt tin! The cakes that come out are so pretty! I'm actually surprised that the cakes don't stick to the pan are just slide out really easily. Hope I just didn't jinx myself. I made banana bundt cake using Dorie Greenspan's recipe taken from slowlikehoney. Most people say that banana cakes are better on the second day but I had a slice about an hour after the cake came out of the oven and it's so moist!

The banana cake is so solid and heavy! I couldn't help but weigh it and it's nearly 2kg! Definitely need to get mini bundt tins. It's funny how you get dark specs in the cake from the banana - makes it look so pretty!
I followed the recipe and even used sour cream. I have never used sour cream in baking and was debating on whether I should replace the sour cream with yogurt. I'm not a fan of sour cream apart from sour cream and chives flavoured crisps and biscuits. Actually, the reason why I used sour cream is cause yogurt comes in 500g and sour cream in 300g. I didn't want any leftovers so I just used the entire pot of sour cream.
I added slightly less than the 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Think I'll cut down the sugar by a 1/4 cup next time. I also used about 2 cups of mashed up banana. The cake was browning really quickly and after about 35 minutes, I covered the cake in the oven with a piece of foil. Mine took about 65 minutes to bake.

Banana bundt cake
makes one 9 to 10 inch bundt cake

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
4 very ripe bananas, mashed (should make 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups)
1 cup sour cream

1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 180 C. Generously butter and flour a 9- to 10-inch (12 cup) bundt pan. (If you use a silicone bundt pan there’s no need to butter it.) Don’t place the pan on a baking sheet – you want the oven’s heat to circulate through the bundt’s inner tube.
2. Whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
3. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat till pale and fluffy.
4. Beat in the vanilla and add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each egg goes in. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the bananas. Finally, mix in half the dry ingredients (don’t be disturbed when the batter curdles), all the sour cream and then the rest of the flour mixture.
5. Pour batter into the pan and rap the pan on the counter to debubble the batter and smooth the top.
6. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until a thin knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Check the cake after about 30 minutes and if it's browning too quickly, cover loosely with a foil tent.
7. Transfer the cake to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before unmolding onto the rack to cool to room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love bundt cakes, I will be sure to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made this the other day, and you're right, it was PERFECT. i used whole wheat flour, rye flour and white flour. it turned out darker but it was SO moist and tasted perfect. i covered the bundt tin with foil right from the start. the only thing you don't specify is when to add the bananas and sour cream. i added them after i added the egg-butter-sugar mixture to the flour, mixing by hand slowly...
    DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails