Monday 19 April 2010

Apple custard tea cakes

I was a bit disappointed with this recipe. Thought it required more apples. I still have 2 more sour apples on top of the 6 apples I got today. The recipe says 1 large apple. In my opinion, the size of my sour apple is small so technically I should've used at least 1 and a half apples. I still ended up having to eat about a quarter of the 1 apple that I used.

I can never fill up cupcakes with just the right amount of batter. It's always either too much or too little. 1 of them kinda leaked out; more of a semi leak cause it didn't overflow from all sides but just a corner and the other 5 sorta have the pointy shape in the centre which I'm not really a fan of. I like cupcakes that are slightly rounded. Well, from the pictures, they don't really look pointy cause it's hidden by the sliced apples but from the back, there's an obvious bump where the pointy bit was trying to form (refer to muffin at the top and the one on its left and right in the picture below. It's not that obvious cause of the angle but if you were to take a side profile, there's an obvious pointy bit!).
This recipe is from the Australian Women's Weekly-the complete book of cupcakes, cheesecakes and cookies, page 85. The bf got it for me before we left Wales for London and I pretty much spent the entire journey going back and forth between recipes and napping.

The apple custard tea cakes is basically batter, custard and batter. No pictures of the making process cause I basically chatting on the phone whilst making the batter and by the time I got off, I had already filled up the cupcake cases with batter.

The cakes were yummy when they just came out of the oven but Y said that it had gone a bit solid by the time she got back which was a couple of hours later. I'll definately try making this again but not with this recipe. I quite like the idea of a secret filling hiding inside.

Apple custard tea cakes
makes 6 muffins

for custard
1 Tbsp custard powder
1 Tbsp caster sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

for batter
90g butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup custard powder
2 Tbsp milk
1 unpeeled apple, cored, sliced finely

30g melted butter
1 Tbsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Make custard according to instructions and leave to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C and line muffin pan.
3. Beat butter, vanilla extract, sugar, eggs, flour, custard powder and milk until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium and beat until mixture is changed to a paler colour.
4. Divide half the mixture among cases. Top with a heaped Tbsp of custard and spread remaining batter to cover custard. Top with apple slices, pressing slightly into the batter.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Brush hot cakes with melted butter and sprinkle with combined sugar and cinnamon.

Note:
For the batter, I creamed the butter and sugar, incorporated the eggs and sifted in the flour but that's only cause I didn't read step 3. I also added an extra 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails