Friday 16 April 2010

Apple cake




Welcome to my first post.

This is my second time using this apple cake recipe from smitten kitchen. I have a really bad habit of not reading recipes before I begin. I usually only make sure that I have all the ingredients before beginning. Though I do assume that there's always sufficient flour or sugar in the house only to realise that there's none left when I've actually started the recipe and are halfway through the steps of adding the ingredients. Oh, and I usually jumble up the steps too. My bad.

The first time I made the cake, I didn't read the part about adding the batter, apples, batter then apples. I just did batter and apples. I thought it was odd that I had too much apples at the top of the cake and that 50% of the apples fell off after the cake was removed from its tin. Mind you, this was 2 years ago. I did keep the recipe as the cake was a big hit at the party I made it for.

Last week, I bought a bag of apples (about 10 of them) for a pound and I thought to myself, money well spent. I had one and it was one of the sour-est bunch of apples I had ever eaten! Ok, I might be exaggerating a tiny bit but I wasn't going to torture myself by eating another one.

I whipped out smitten kitchen's recipe, halved the recipe and voila. The smell of cinnamon in the air whilst the cake is baking, yum yum. Ooh, and the cake is moist on its own and goes perfectly with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.


Sorry for the lack of pictures as I forgot to whip out the camera whilst making it.

I made a few changes to the recipe. I used 4 apples though when I realised that there should be 2 apple layers and I reduced the amount of sugar.


Apple cake recipe

4 apples
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp lemon juice

1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup milk
zest of an orange
1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 170 C.
2. Grease a 7 inch bundt tin and line with parchment paper.
3. Remove apple cores and cut into chunks. Toss with brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
4. Sift together dry ingredients.
5. Whisk together wet ingredients.
6. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
7. Pour and spread half the batter into the tin, half the apples, the remaining half of batter and then apples.
8. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails