Vanilla cupcakes v2.0. I'm currently testing out recipes for cupcakes. It's interesting that there are so many types of recipes for the same end product. Different ratios, ingredients and methods - what a pain. Oh, and don't forget that each individual has a different preference too.
This recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook was more promising than the previous vanilla cupcakes I made. I wouldn't declare this *THE* ultimate cupcake recipe so the search is still on!
The method for this cupcake is interesting - mix the butter with the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients. I made them muffin sized instead of cupcakes cause I think they look prettier and more proportionate when in muffin size. The beast did its job! The icing was smooth and easy to pipe. Really sweet though but I suppose that's what icing is suppose to be.
Vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting
makes 6 muffins or 12 cupcakes
4 1/2 oz plain flour
5 oz caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 1/2 oz butter
120 ml whole milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 quantity vanilla frosting
1. Line cupcake tray and preheat oven to 170 C.
2. Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a mixer bowl and with a paddle attachment, beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined.
3. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until just incorporated.
4. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the mixture and continue beating until just incorporated. Scrape down the bowl and mix until smooth. Do not overmix.
5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until 2/3s full and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light and golden and the sponge bounces back when touched.
6. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
9 oz icing sugar, sifted
3 oz butter, at room temperature
25 ml whole milk
a couple drops of vanilla extract
1. Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a free-standing electric mixer with a paddle attachment on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
2. Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time.
3. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
4. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.