Tuesday 11 May 2010

Apple streusel bars

At a first glance, you would think that these bars have some sort of chocolate filling. After looking at pictures from lovintheoven, I just had to give these bars a try. They turned out delicious - not too sweet, cinnamon-y and lovely texture.

I actually like the whole rubbing the butter into the dry ingredients using my fingers. It's not as tiring as creaming butter and sugar and the weather here is cold enough unlike Malaysia where you'll end up with a melted and sticky mixture. That reminds me, I really need to start making pies and tarts.

Mine looks different from lovintheoven and ourbestbites because I used dark brown sugar for the filling, I didn't peel the apples and I sliced them into chunks instead of thin slices. I didn't bother with the icing but they would've looked more presentable with it.
I made mine in a 9 inch square tin just because I prefer a thicker crust. Plus, the 9x13 inch baking tin was under a lot of other bowls etc and it seemed like more effort to take out. I know I can be lazy at times but it does actually seem completely justifiable at the time.

Apple streusel bars
makes 16 mini squares or one 9 inch tin

Pastry
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz butter
1 egg, beaten

Apple filling
1/2 cup white sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon (I used more cinnamon but I lost count - either 3 or 4 tsp)
4 cups sliced apples

1. To prepare crust, mix flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles (I rubbed the butter into the dry ingredients with my fingers). Gently mix in beaten egg.
2. Spray a 9x13 baking dish or a 9 inch tin with non-stick cooking spray. Gently pat about 2/3 of the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish. Preheat oven to 180 C and set aside.
3. To prepare apple filling, combine flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Toss with apples and spread apples out on prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crust mixture over apples evenly and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes (mine took 50 minutes)
. When finished, allow to cool completely. Cut into bars and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails