Thursday 13 May 2010

Chocolate chip cookies

I just made the biggest chocolate chip cookie ever! Ok, I might be exaggerating a bit but they are gimongous! I used Alton Brown's chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe - a fairly easy recipe and doesn't require much effort.

I only deviated slightly from the recipe, using dark muscovado sugar instead of brown sugar. Everything else was done to the T. I even used the recommended bread flour. The cookie is very chocolate-y and it got annoying because everytime I pick a cookie up, I get a smear of chocolate on my fingers.
I didn't find the cookie chewy. It was more cake-y. I was pleased with the crispiness around the edges though. My cookie looks nothing like the picture on the food network channel! Theirs is flat and even whereas mine turned out like a dome. Maybe that's the centre bit was cake-y. Or maybe my definition of chewy is different? Oh well.
I chilled the dough for 3 hours and it looks so pretty when scooped out. I scooped out 1/4 cup balls of dough and baked a dozen cookies. I baked the leftover dough the next day and made slightly smaller ones and mini ones. They're actually only mini when compared to the first batch. It reminds me of the coffee sizes at Starbucks - tall, grande and venti.
Chocolate chip cookies by Alton Brown
makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies

8 oz butter
1/4 caster sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips

1. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
2. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown in , checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails