YUMMY!! Popcorn with loads of caramel on it. Making popcorn is such an exciting event. Especially when you hear it popping away in the pot.
Homemade popcorn is really easy to make. Just heat up a pot, put some oil in and when it's hot enough, chuck the corn in and cover it with a lid. Wait for the pops and give it the odd shake every now and then and when the popping stops, it's done.
Whip up some caramel sauce, pour it on the popcorn, toss and bake it for a bit and tadaa, caramel popcorn! I can't remember where I got the recipe from. I think I combined 2 recipes together and added in baking soda to the caramel sauce cause other recipes seemed to have baking soda.
There was more than enough caramel! Every popcorn had at least a spec of caramel on it. I don't like it when half of the popcorn has no caramel on it, especially at the cinemas cause once the movie starts, you can't actually see which popcorn has caramel on it and which doesn't.
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup popping corn
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the popcorn. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until the popping stops. Tip into a large bowl.
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp honey
3/4 - 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 140 C . Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in sugars, honey and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for approximately 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. (it'll appear foamy).
4. Pour over popcorn and mix well.
5. Place in 2 baking sheets and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 45 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.